June 9, 2008

Heat Wave of Irritability

When its a thousand degrees in the middle of an urban city, and one lives in a relic of a building that has no air conditioning, one tends to get a little... testy. Its so humid that even my impressive room fan feels like someone is merely gently sneezing in my direction. So I dont sleep, I refuse to cook anything because the stove feels like an open camp fire, and the Lakers just lost Game 2, which preceded a town of sweaty bandwagon (YES I said it - 87% of you AREN'T EVEN FROM HERE! Dont look at me crazy when I tell you that not only did I not decide to be a Celtics fan like 3 weeks ago like the rest of you, but also the Red Sox are actually incredibly annoying and create a huge inconvenience for the entire city 8 months out of the year. Unlike yourselves, I actually relocated from a city that is AWESOME - so I dont need to borrow Boston's sports obsession or identity. Ive got my own thanks.) fools celebrating in the streets all night while I tried to figure out how to fill up my bath tub with ice using only one plastic freezer tray. (Seriously, I started pondering filling up every cup I own and freezing them until someone told me that an ice bath might shut down my kidneys. But they would be cold kidneys, yes?)
Im irritated.

Fine yes, its summer and just barely three days ago I was boldly complaining that it is in fact June and why in God's name was it still 57 degrees and raining. For this, I am throwing myself on the alter of humility and the mercy of the court - and hoping they are both made of ice.

This is where I start asking myself all sorts of questions like "What am I doing here?"
I put my time in. I can go back to California, back to comfort and family. Back to easy, back to numb, back to mediocrity, back to compromise. The pull is incredibly strong, the rationale to give in to this entitled sense of... complacency.

And then I see these faces



These smiles that remind me my time here may have just begun.

3 comments:

Jen said...

The game was interesting for about 10 seconds at the very end, but then went back to depressing. I am hoping that coming back from a 24 point lead will at least give the Lakers hope that they can and WILL do better next game.

Unknown said...

I would comment about the game, but sometimes I have a tendency to get angry. Especially when all 4-eleven-and-a-half of me could have shot the ball better.

Thus, the children are adorable and I'm glad to hear you are having so much fun with them. I have no doubt you mean a lot to them as well!

P.S. My sister was due on Saturday, and alas, no baby yet. Crazy Aunt Pam is crying on the inside.

knyche said...

I do believe your time here has just begun... :-)