Behold, Exhibit A:

No this is not my wedding photo. (Oh that post is coming, dont you worry.) This is Junior Prom. I was a cherubic 16 years of age, and chose to wear, inexplicably, a white velour gown I bought at Windsor Fashions in the Westminister Mall. (I realize that reference is only funny to Native Orange Countians, bare with me.)
At the time, my attitude concerning my "look" for this event could be described as "phoning it in." I bypassed the heinously complicated up-do's that were all the rage in 1996, wore very little make-up, and borrowed some costume jewelry from my Grandmother - The Queen of the Costume. I was accompanied by the now infamous David "The Oc Dave" Driskell, who had yet to come into his own innate hotness via inner lip tattoos and sloughing off the Albatross of Irritation that was Luke Weaver. (Im not even sorry for that one.)
Dave agreed to take me to prom, although I had a 21 year-old boyfriend/drain on my life, who interestingly enough found the time to date a high schooler, but could not be bothered to show up to any high school events with said girlfriend. He was far too mature for that. (He was, however, not too mature to get viciously schooled by yours truly - the likes of which had him on my doorstep, bearing tears and gifts, begging for my adolescent ass back. But that is neither here nor there.)
At the time, I felt that I had given this event little to no effort. (Now as a rational adult AND make-up artist, I realize that I was in fact rocking a look that has since been a foreign concept to me - what the kids call "natural". Who Knew?)
By the time Senior prom came around, I was dating yet another college-aged mommas' boy who refused to accompany me (and/or had a curfew earlier than mine - I wish I were kidding), and I had a serious point to prove in the get-up department! In stark contrast to the virginal ambiance I portrayed in 11th grade, 12th grade came with a vengeance!
What is happening here? Even I cant answer this question. I look like I went to prom as a chorus dancer in the Vegas review of Mobsters: Christian Slater, Richard Greico, Patrick Dempsey, and other nameless hottie. (Oh Greico...)
Seriously, lets do a run down:
Sparkly Purple Gown - check
Purple eye shadow AND Purple Lipstick??? - check
Unnecessary Shirley Temple Ringlets - check
Corsage worn on bicep, perpetuating my insistence that I was gangsta - Priceless.
Regardless! I loved High School, and would probably still rock that dress if the occasion presented itself, who are we kidding.
Thank You Jill Overby for rifling through years of memories and reminding me that, even at 28, I may still show up dressed like a cast member of Chicago at any given time.
Are you checking this Ho's? Cuz You'd BEST.
6 comments:
Remember when Westminster Mall used to be the AWESOMEST place to hang out? And buy BITCHIN clothes from the likes of Charlotte Rouse, RAVE, and 5-7-9?
Oh to be back in 1993...
Ashlee!! You kill me! First of all, you get me with the Windsor Fashions...we all staked out that place for formal gowns. Hilarious. Then your jokes about your old boyfriends with curfews and your purple-themed senior prom look. Although you might laugh now, you were hot stuff at those formals!! This was another fabulous read. You are awesome, Ash. I love how your style has evolved from innocent/natural into sexy bitch!
I purchased heels at Steppin' Out the last time I was home - In JUNE. I also obtained ownership of "THEE Wig" at Wig-o-Rama or whatever its called, upstairs by Sears. I heart the WM - Im not even gonna lie.
Im sorry David Kuhn. You have been a great friend for the past ten years - thank you for being there for me through far more than you ever should have. Congrats on your impending nuptials. xoxo
My favorite posts are definitely the ones when you make fun of yourself, hilarious!
WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS POST BEFORE??? How many days did we spend aimlessly wandering around WM mall? And because it took longer than 10 minutes to get there I considered it "a drive" to go there. I think your line about possibly showing up to an event looking like a cast member of Chicago at any time pretty much sums it all up. And I am still laughing about the Luke Weaver comment. AMEN, SISTER!
Post a Comment