Its often been asked of me, inexplicably, what I was like as a High Schooler. Im not sure why this comes up as often as it does, but I can only assume that the answer people are looking for is that I was a shy, awkward wallflower who came out of my shell in college and never looked back. In actuality, Im not much different now than I was then: loud, sarcastic, fun, and totally devoid of concern for other peoples opinions. In addition, I was a contradiction in terms - a Varsity Cheerleader and ASB member who enjoyed moonlighting as the person most likely to get everyone into some good-natured mischief. I was no stranger to testing limits and pushing buttons back then, which landed me in the principals office numerous times, usually for some sort of harmless infraction that only my private christian school would have deemed "disrespectful." Ironically, its these subtle characteristics of my personality that I have come to cherish the most - my inability to humor you or play the game.
My 10-year high school reunion was an interesting fete, wrought with over-compensation, which is to say, exactly like every other High School reunion. There were points to prove, reputations to redeem, and grudges to uphold. No longer insecure 18 year-olds, but quasi-accomplished 28 year-olds with marriages, divorces, children, mortgages, and memories of a time when all we were concerned about was who's car was getting us to the beach after 5th period.
Im not sure what my point here is, but I was prompted to write this basically because the microcosm that was my high school experience still seems to think that it holds some sort of validity and influence over the world outside of Calvary Chapel. In many ways, it was the small town that I will never live in, where everyone knows everyone and everything. And because it is also still a thriving church, I could probably inquire about anyone who ever attended there by making no more than three phone calls. I have no ill-will towards my time there, nor would I change anything about High School other than most of my fashion choices (Overalls? really?!), so this post is not about discussing the evils of CCHS.
What baffles and intrigues me is that some of my former classmates still seem to think... that anyone cares.
And I felt compelled to say - that we dont.
I personally did not care much back then, but thats neither here nor there. And while this may sound callous to some, let me break it down. I have lived my life - good, bad, ugly, sometimes downright shameful and embarrassing - with the full knowledge that my achievements as well as my horrible mistakes have traveled through the gossip channels at top speed. And just like the time I nearly got suspended for a dress code violation involving a tank top and some back talk, I make my decisions regardless of who is watching or listening. Always have.
Sure - Im happy for Kelly Matthews and Matt Kimmel and their new triplets. I love hearing about Jill Overby's new job, and am interested in the details of the Hoehn's relocation. Our lives will evolve in so many ways over the next few years that the changes are exciting and updates are expected.
But for those of you who seriously think that the notion of the locker hall still exists, and that you are still the popular school president, homecoming queen, or the perky volleyball player with a seriously over-rated opinion of herself - well news flash... start living life like its tomorrow and not 1997.
You are the only one still sitting at the lunch tables.
3 comments:
We need to talk.
Who is horsefeathers??? Anyhoo, I think that is goes without saying that it's high time people let go of their high school insecurities and moved on with their life. Enough is enough, we barely tolerated you then, and we sure as shit won't put up with you now.
You didn't mention our fake tats at the basketball game. That was cause for alarm and possible expulsion. How often were we the prime suspects of dress code violation? You were wearing overalls, and I was wearing sweater vests. Good God!
Post a Comment