November 2, 2008

Nice Try

...but you are about four years too late
or one
depending on your vantage point
Despite what you may have heard
Im not going to let you and your typical
middle-aged tedium
ruin everything Ive worked
bled, sweat, and teared for
just because me and my voice
my laugh
my complete inability to be impressed or give a damn
you find so intriguing
so utterly captivating that you need to capture and extinguish before it reveals you for the cliche you are
So what
If I create an occasional respite
a temporary lapse
a minuscule attempt at memory recollection
of the five minutes when you knew no consequence
too bad

Funny
If this were then
If then was now
If paths were crossed
If words exchanged instead of blazing looks across crowded rooms
Before it all turned

Availability just isnt quite as sexy is it
as forbidden
as unreachable
as unforgivable

Your boredom is not my problem

I dont need your wish fulfilment, your pathetic attempt at revitalization
I already know how this ends
My fire is not for your amusement
My strength is not to be added to your repertoire
My unique does not exist to help you redefine yours
or lack thereof

Hear this
Retreat back to the stands and watch from afar
My stage is not your gauntlet
I never presented you with a challenge nor an invitation
So sit back down and enjoy the show that existed long before you got here

Nice try.

3 comments:

jill said...

Wow. This is an excellent, heartfelt post, Ash.

I know it's against EVERYTHING you stand for, but I wish you'd cave in and get a Facebook page. I want to be in touch with you more often!!!

(Don't hate me for suggesting Facebook) :)

A Mills said...

I hate you.

jill said...

You want to hate me...but you can't. You love me!! LOL :)

I am now reading this after our conversation. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

Though I still want you to join Facebook. And for saying that TWICE in a comment section, I know you want to hate me. But you can't. :)