
Coming upon a milestone like this sort of forces you to get introspective. I was going to wax nostalgic about all that is me, these tribulations and jubilations and everything in between, and sort of try to find a perfectly wrapped summation. I dont know why I thought I was up to that task. I cant tie bows very well.
Sitting here at 11:24 pm, the night before my thirtieth year on earth, exhausted, excited, humbled.
I am feeling... contented. I am breathing. I have exhaled. I never thought the day would come when I would actually be able to say that. Its been a long road.
I am looking at an early birthday card that arrived today, which has the words "Be Rare, Be Eccentric, Be Original" scrawled across the front.
This card, and its sender, has gift wrapped my life's summation for me and left it neatly at my doorstep. If nothing else, Ive tried to live with reckless abandon, with undeniable passion, with considerable earnest. Ive said the things that were hard to say, did the things Im most scared of, had moments of considerable darkness only to be followed by unimaginable joy. Ive experienced. Ive tried. Ive seen. Ive lived. Ive danced like everyone was watching.
And Ive only just gotten started. Mark those words.
On this eve o' me, I have to say that none of this self-actualization would have been possible without the ridiculous love of family and friends, bi-coastal. I am beyond blessed to have a group of people in my life who continue to laugh with me, cry with me, and put up with me so continuously. This is,now and forever, for you.
And Jesus, who loves me so thanklessly and mercifully,
thank you for always...
For always.
It too was a long road.
So, Here's to the next chapter!
xoxo,
Ash

2 comments:
I can't believe we are turning 30!! It is so rare to find a friend when you are a child who goes through life with you and shares in all the joys and struggles you face along the way. My memories of you and I growing up together are countless (and sometimes embarrassing... does wearing overalls with only one strap fastened doing a music video to Boys II Men ring any bells? Did you say ring my bell? Walk my dog?) and I am so thankful God put you in my life all those years ago. Thinking of you always brings a smile to my face and I wish we didn't live so far away from each other! I am looking forward to another 30 years (and then another) of being your friend... watch out world!!
I hope you have an amazing birthday celebrating your life and all those who love you.
Love and miss you...
Happy Birthday, my dear. You are absolutely phenomenal and I am so thankful for our friendship each and every day. I'm a little behind ya in the age bracket, but that only means that you now have to come visit me on-or-around Oct 1, 2009, as I too will be celebrating my very last birthday with the big 2-9.
In the wise words of Xtina, "it keeps gettin better."
Post a Comment